Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Rose By Any Other Name ...

I asked myself a question today:

What makes a character I've made stand out from the pack? With twelve to choose from, why do I choose that special someone?

At first, I thought it was all about striking that perfect balance of skills and stats, where I get the most I want out of the system. But, no, I realized that was almost imppossible, so that can't be the answer.

No, after a few more seconds of reflection, I realized the answer was all in the name. The character name, to be specific. For example, I'm going to play a Deadlands game with a character who is the son of a puritan missionary. His name is, in the traditional puritan fashion, God-Said-To-Joseph-Let-My-Will-Be-Done Orkin (or Joseph God's-Will Orkin, for short). It has the combined benefit of a crazy long over-the-top fire and brimstone first name with a punnish last name (he's an assassin, or exterminator, if you will - don't get the joke? That's what Google is for).

How could I not play him?

No comments:

Post a Comment