Monday, December 9, 2013

Style Sundays: Inspiration

"I want to play a ..."

That's the key phrase I use to build my characters. I try not to use any word that is in the rules of the game, particularly any of the class names. Don't get me wrong, I might be thinking "I really love the Huckster" but if I can't come up with a PERSON who could reasonably be a Huckster, then it's a non-starter.

Start General: I want to be a ...
1) Merchant
2) Mercenary
3) Criminal
4) Professional
5) Commoner

Get Specific: I am a ...
1) baron of industry; street vendor; travelling salesman
2) improvised weapons expert; lone assassin; bodyguard; army deserter
3) thief; con artist; hacker; crime lord
4) teacher; doctor; nurse; engineer
5) baker; butcher; candlestick maker

Personalize it: (and in my case, humorize it) I like to ...
These can apply to any of the above
A) Save peoples' lives. Compulsively. (Most entertaining when combined with "candlestick maker")
B) Eat food. Compulsively.
C) Have sex. Comupsively. (Combine this one with "doctor" and you're in for a world of trouble. Trust me)
D) Torture people. For fun. (Again, combine this one with "doctor" and your friends will never look at you the same again)
E) Steal. Compulsively.

I've just noticed a trend in my characters. Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment