Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Fan-tisize

So, I love the TNT show Leverage. I'll admit, I suffered all the typical symptoms of depression after the series finale. It was awesome. And I'm constantly rewatching old episodes. Having a son of my own, the flashback scenes where Nate clutches his dead son in the hospital always chokes me up. It's good stuff.

A while back, I had the opportunity to play the Leverage roleplaying game in a playtest environment. It was a pretty neat system that really played off the show's fairly rigid thematic structure, with scenes divided into intro, planning, heist, and flashbacks (showing how he things that went wrong in the heist actually were a part of the plan).

My issue was, of course, with the character-ing. I had this same problem with the Doctor Who RPG. I have this same problem with large swathes of Star Wars fiction, of which I've read more than my fair share.

How do you create or act out a much beloved character?

This isn't a rhetorical question. I really want to know. My solution is to make no pretensions of playing the character - the best I can do is play the character sheet and occasionally get a close approximation of what the character is like.

So, what do you do, when writing, acting out, or whatever a character you didn't create, but truly adore?

No comments:

Post a Comment